Monday, August 30, 2010

Le Cinque Terre

First thing when I got here I was going to take a shower, but I got the better suggestion of going to the beach first. In Riomaggiore the beach is rocks, not sand, but it is still really nice. The water is warm and dark blue. People sun bath each on their own big flat rock or there is a pebble beach, too. There are two nice little coves that almost feel like swimming pools. The water is a clear dark blue. I can't reach the bottom, but I can see it and there are no fish. I saw a group of people cliff diving during my swim, not too high, but I'm sure it seems higher when you jump. I might check that out before I go.

My first full day I woke up at 4 AM from jet lag and walked around Riomaggore taking pictures. I spent some time exploring Vernazza-- Rick Steve's favorite of the 5 towns. And I went to La Spezia to get my phone figured out at Vodaphone. Not much to see in La Spezia that I could tell.

I did the big 5-town hike the next day. Still naturally waking up early I was on the trail at 6 AM. I'm glad I was because that is the only time of day that it is pleasant here. I actually gave up at town 4 because that it the hardest part of the trail and I was getting hot and tired. During my walk I met a boy named Elton from Albania. He showed me around town later and I met up with him and his friends the next day.

My hostel is an apartment with 6 beds in it. The people here have been so nice! They are mostly people traveling like me, for months or with no end in sight. For a few nights I had 5 Australians!

I leave the day after tomorrow. My plans are to do that last bit of the hike, get a better feel for some of the other towns and be on my way.

[Edit] Link to Le Cinque Terre Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/kaitlyn.hanrahan/20100825CinqueTerre#

No comments:

Post a Comment